Being in the UK with a fiancé visa with a permit to work and my visa will expire in December, what should I do next?

Being in the UK with a fiancé visa with a permit to work and my visa will expire in December, what should I do next?

If you are in the UK on a fiancé visa with permission to work, and your visa is set to expire in December, there are several important steps you need to take to ensure you maintain your legal status and continue living and working in the UK. Here are some key actions to consider:

  1. Marriage: If you haven’t already done so, you should get married to your UK partner within the validity period of your fiancé visa. This is a crucial step to transition to the next visa category.
  2. Apply for Further Leave to Remain: After your marriage, you can apply for Further Leave to Remain (often referred to as a Spouse Visa) before your fiancé visa expires. This visa will allow you to stay in the UK as the spouse of a British citizen or settled person and continue working.
  3. Financial Requirements: Ensure that you meet the financial requirements for a Spouse Visa. You’ll need to prove that you and your partner meet the income threshold, typically through employment, savings, or other financial means.
  4. Accommodation: You will also need to demonstrate that you have suitable accommodation for you and your partner, meeting specific requirements.
  5. English Language Requirement: Depending on your circumstances, you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language through an English language test.
  6. Application: Submit your Spouse Visa application, including all the required documents and the application fee, well before your fiancé visa expires. You can apply online through the official UK government website.
  7. Biometric Appointment: You will need to attend a biometric appointment and provide your biometric information as part of the application process.
  8. Wait for a Decision: After you submit your application, you will need to wait for a decision. This can take several weeks, so be prepared for some processing time.
  9. Bridging Visa: If your fiancé visa expires before your Spouse Visa is granted, you may receive an automatic extension known as a “bridging visa” that allows you to stay in the UK while your application is being processed.

It’s important to carefully follow the guidance provided by the UK Home Office and ensure that you meet all the necessary requirements and deadlines. You may also consider seeking legal advice or assistance to navigate the application process effectively. It’s crucial to maintain compliance with your visa status to avoid any immigration issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *