Can a UK fiancé visa be extended? If not, what are my options?

Can a UK fiancé visa be extended? If not, what are my options?

Yes, a UK fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner visa can be extended, but it is not automatically extended. The fiancé visa is initially granted for a period of six months, during which you are expected to come to the UK, marry your partner or enter into a civil partnership, and then switch to a different visa category if you wish to stay in the UK after marriage.

To extend your stay in the UK after getting married or entering into a civil partnership, you will need to apply for a spouse visa. The spouse visa is part of the UK’s family visa category and allows you to remain in the UK with your partner for a longer period.

The requirements for the spouse visa are more stringent than those for the fiancé visa. You and your partner must meet the financial, accommodation, and relationship requirements to be eligible for the spouse visa. Generally, you must show that your relationship is genuine and that you can adequately support yourselves without relying on public funds.

It’s essential to apply for the spouse visa before your fiancé(e) visa expires to maintain your lawful status in the UK. Keep in mind that immigration rules and requirements can change, so be sure to check the official UK government website or consult with a qualified immigration solicitor for the most up-to-date and accurate information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *