Fiancé(e)s and Proposed Civil Partners

Fiancé(e)s and Proposed Civil Partners

Groom(s) and intended civil partner
Guidance on fiancé(e)s and intended civil partner visas.

What are the visa requirements for the bride(s) and intended civil partner?

In order to enter the UK as a fiancé(e)s or intended civil partner, the applicant must be able to demonstrate that:

What is required to obtain a fiancé(e) visa?
British citizens or those who are settled in the UK may wish to be joined by their fiancé(e) or intended civil partner for marriage or civil partnership in the UK.
their partner is a UK citizen or is settled in the UK;
they intend to enter into a marriage or civil partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK;
they are in a present and existing relationship and both are free to marry;
they meet the financial requirements; and
they meet the required level of English language proficiency (currently A1 on the CEFR).

What are the financial requirements for the fiancé(e)s visa?
While applicants are often challenged to provide sufficient evidence to prove the authenticity of their relationship, the most difficult requirement to fulfill is often the financial requirement. The financial requirement can be met in several different ways. However, applicants will have to demonstrate that, at a minimum, their partner has an annual income of at least £18,600 or that the applicant and their partner have savings of at least £62,500.

What are the length and conditions of stay in the UK on a fiancé(e)s visa?
Applicants can apply to enter the UK for an initial period of six months. Once married or in a civil partnership they will be able to apply to transfer to the spouse and civil partnership category in the UK.

If the applicant has not married or entered into a civil partnership within six months of entry, they can apply for an extension of their leave for an additional six months, provided that they have a valid reason for not having the ceremony and can provide evidence that the ceremony will take place within the next six months.

While in the United Kingdom as a fiancé or intended civil partner, the applicant will not be able to work. However, once the applicant moves into the category of spouse and civil partner, he or she will be eligible to work.

How can an immigration lawyer help with a fiancé(e)s and intended civil partner visa application?
The Department of the Interior will carefully review the fiancé(e) or intended civil partner visa application. If it does not feel that the relationship is genuine, or if it feels that any other requirements are not met, the application will be denied. Therefore, it is very important that the application be prepared carefully and thoroughly, and an attorney can help with this.

Intended civil partner and fiancé(e)s visa applications: How our immigration attorneys can help
We have extensive experience in preparing visa applications for fiancé(e)s and intended civil partners to ensure a successful outcome and will provide you with expert guidance and assistance throughout the process.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *