Getting a UK marriage visa from Nigeria involves a series of steps and meeting specific requirements. The UK marriage visa allows you to join your spouse who is either a British citizen or settled in the UK. Here’s a general overview of the process:
- Eligibility Check: Ensure you meet the basic eligibility criteria. You must be legally married to a UK citizen or settled person and have a genuine and subsisting relationship. You also need to prove your ability to support yourselves without recourse to public funds.
- Application Form: Complete the online application form on the UK government’s official website. You’ll need to provide accurate information about your personal details, marital status, and other relevant information.
- Documentation: Gather all the required supporting documents. This may include your valid passport, marriage certificate, proof of relationship, tuberculosis test results (if applicable), English language proficiency test results, financial evidence, and more. Ensure that all your documents are in English or accompanied by certified translations.
- Financial Requirements: You’ll need to demonstrate that your UK spouse meets the minimum income requirement. This requirement might be met through employment, self-employment, savings, or other permitted sources. The financial threshold varies based on circumstances.
- English Language Proficiency: If you’re a non-native English speaker, you may need to prove your English language proficiency by taking an approved English language test, such as IELTS.
- Tuberculosis Test: Depending on the country’s requirements, you might need to undergo a tuberculosis test at an approved clinic.
- Online Application Submission: Complete and submit your online application, paying the required fee. As part of the application process, you’ll need to schedule an appointment at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Nigeria to provide your biometric information (fingerprints and photograph).
- Biometric Appointment: Attend your scheduled appointment at the VAC. You’ll need to bring your application checklist, passport, and any supporting documents.
- Interview: In some cases, you might be required to attend an interview at the British High Commission in Nigeria. This is to verify the authenticity of your relationship and documents.
- Processing Time: The processing time for a UK marriage visa can vary, so it’s essential to apply well in advance of your intended travel date.
- Decision: You’ll be informed of the decision on your visa application. If your application is successful, you’ll receive a vignette (sticker) in your passport that allows you to enter the UK. You’ll need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days of arriving in the UK.
- Arrival in the UK: Once in the UK, you can stay for the duration specified on your visa. You’ll be able to work and study in the UK during this time.
It’s important to note that immigration rules and requirements can change, so always refer to the official UK government website for the most up-to-date information and guidance on the application process for a UK marriage visa from Nigeria. Consider seeking legal advice or consulting an immigration expert if you have specific questions or concerns about your application.