What are the requirements for a spousal visa for marriage in the UK for 2021?
To be eligible for a spousal visa to the UK in 2021, you must meet the following requirements:
- Both partners must be 18 years of age or older.
- Sufficient proficiency in English – initial applications require a lower level of spousal visa than the extended spousal visa and indefinite leave to remain. Depending on your country of origin, proof of English language proficiency may be required.
- You must meet a minimum level of income – if you are applying without dependents, the requirement is £18,600. There are different rules, depending on whether you are employed or self-employed and whether you are applying with dependents. If you are not working and have £62,500 in savings, you do not need to prove that you are employed.
- You must have suitable housing for you, your partner and/or dependents.
The sponsor, which is a term referring to a British citizen or “settler” inviting someone to the UK, must be a UK resident or intend to become a resident at the same time as applying for a spousal visa. Someone residing in the UK will have ILR or protected status such as a refugee .
- You must have a genuine and stable relationship. You must be able to prove it, documentation will be required. You do not have to have lived together for 2 years, but if you have lived together for some time, you must provide utility bills as proof.
You must be able to support yourself and your dependents financially (proof of finances will be required).
If you can meet these criteria, you must have a very strong application – it can also be submitted, even if all of these conditions have not been met.