Prerequisites for the “Unmarried Partner” visa in UK

Prerequisites for the "Unmarried Partner" visa in UK

 One of the partners must be permanently resident in the UK

The applicant must provide evidence that his/her partner is a resident of the UK and has either British citizenship, permanent residency or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
British nationals who are abroad but who intend to return to the UK are deemed to be resident in the UK.

Both partners must intend to live together permanently

The applicant and his/her partner must show a firm intention to live together permanently, a requirement which is mandatory for both parties.
Evidence is a formal letter of commitment from both partners confirming their intention to reside permanently at the address where the UK partner has his/her own or rented accommodation.
The visa officer can ask the applicant questions about the address, ask for a description of the place where the house is located, etc. in order to verify the veracity of their intentions.

Minimum Income Requirements for Sponsoring Partner

The sponsoring partner must show that he has an annual income of at least £18,600. If there is one child this amount will be £22,400 plus an additional £2400 for each child if there is more than one child. The appropriate minimum will apply at all stages: initial application, renewal, permanent residency. (This requirement does not apply to children with British citizenship or EEA nationals with permanent residency or Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme).

What counts as income:
– An employee’s wages or self-employed income. Both the sponsoring partner’s income and the income of the applicant (or just the applicant) can be counted if the applicant is in the UK and eligible to work;
– Regular non-work-related income of the sponsor and/or applicant (the applicant’s income does not count if he/she is not applying in the UK);
– The state or private pension (whether received in the UK or abroad) of the sponsor and/or the applicant;
– Any maternity or bereavement benefits received in the UK by the sponsor and/or the applicant;
– any savings of more than £16,000 which the sponsor and/or the applicant have had in their possession for at least the last 6 months and which they can freely and fully dispose of.

Sponsors in receipt of UK Disability Living Allowance are exempt from the financial requirements.
Evidence of sufficient funds:
– bank statements;
– payslips;
– P60 forms;
– letters from employers;
– employment contract;
– financial documentation if the sponsor has a business;
– proof of payment of taxes.

This is not a definitive list, as proof of means can vary, and other documents may be submitted depending on the circumstances.
Both partners must be able to fully support themselves and their dependents in housing (rented or owned) without recourse to government funds.

Evidence can be a rental agreement or certificate of title, as well as proof of a mortgage loan.

If possible, a letter from the local council about the number of rooms in the apartment and the availability of the necessary facilities is also desirable.
The applicant under the category Unmarried Partner should confirm that he speaks English at least at level A1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Before applying for a visa, the applicant must take a language test from the Home Office-approved list.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *