UK Fiancee Visa / Spouse (Civil Partner) Visa in 2021/2022

Married partner in UK - Fictitious Marriage Algorithm

UK Fiancee Visa

Fiance Visa is for people who wish to marry a UK citizen but who are living in a different country. The visa is granted for a maximum period of 6 months and during that time, the parties must formalise their marriage in the UK.

If, due to exceptional circumstances, the marriage ceremony is postponed for a period of time, the visa can be extended.

Both future spouses must be at least 18 years old.

Those arriving on a Fiance visa are not eligible to work in the UK. The inviting partner (sponsor) must show that he/she has an income of at least £18,600 a year.

One of the prerequisites is that the future spouses must prove that they have met before and know each other well as well as show an intention to live together permanently after the marriage.

The Fiance visa applicant must prove that he/she has an English language proficiency of at least A1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The applicant must take a language test from the Home Office approved list before applying for the visa.

As for the minor children of the Fiance visa applicant, they can come to the UK as dependants. But applying for dependant visas on a Fiance visa is a complicated and time-consuming procedure, so immigration specialists recommend applying for dependant visas for children after the applicant has formally married a British citizen.

After marriage, it is possible to apply for a Spouse/Civil Partner Visa without leaving the UK.

UK Spouse/Civil Partner Visa in 2021/2022

After getting married, the spouse or partner of a UK citizen should apply for a Spouse/Civil Partner Visa.

Civil Partner refers to a partner in a legally registered same-sex marriage.

The visa is for 33 months for overseas applicants and 30 months for UK applicants. This visa can then be extended for a further 30 months.

The Spouse/Civil Partner visa allows you to live and work in the UK without restriction for the duration of the visa. The holder of a Spouse/Civil Partner visa can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK provided that the spouse has lived together in the UK for five years, the marriage has not been dissolved and the applicant intends to settle permanently in the UK.

2021/2022 Requirements for applicants to apply for a Spouse/Civil Partner visa

Both spouses must be at least 18 years old;
Spouses must know each other and have met before;
The marriage or partnership must be officially registered and recognised in the UK;
One of the spouses/partners must reside permanently in the UK;
Both spouses/partners must intend to live together permanently;
Both spouses/partners must be able to provide fully for themselves and their dependants financially and housing (rented or owned) without recourse to government funds;
The sponsoring spouse/partner must meet the minimum income requirements;
The applicant must have an English language proficiency of at least A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
If the prospective spouse is in the UK on any visa valid for more than 6 months (other than visitor’s visas), he/she may marry or register a relationship with a British citizen without going on a Fiance visa. Once married, the spouse is transferred to a Spouse/Civil Partner visa without leaving the UK and acquires all the rights that an immigrant has under this visa.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *