If you are a non-European Economic Area (EEA) citizen and wish to join your British spouse or civil partner in the UK, you will need to apply for a UK spouse visa. This visa allows you to live and work in the UK for a period of 30 months, after which you can apply for an extension.
To be eligible for a UK spouse visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Relationship requirements To apply for a UK spouse visa, you must be married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen or a person settled in the UK. You must also provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and that you intend to live together in the UK.
- Financial requirements You must meet the financial requirements set by the UK government to ensure that you and your spouse or civil partner can support yourselves without relying on public funds. You will need to provide evidence of your income and savings, as well as your spouse or civil partner’s income, savings and employment status.
- English language requirements You must prove that you have a good command of the English language. The level of English required will depend on your individual circumstances, such as your country of origin and level of education.
- Accommodation requirements You and your spouse or civil partner must have adequate accommodation in the UK, which meets the government’s standards for size and safety.
- Eligibility to marry If you are not already married or in a civil partnership, you must be eligible to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK. This means that you must be over 18 years old, not closely related to your partner and not already married or in a civil partnership.
- Health requirements You may be required to take a tuberculosis test as part of your visa application. You must also prove that you are not a danger to public health and do not have any serious health conditions that could put a burden on the UK’s National Health Service (NHS).
In summary, to be eligible for a UK spouse visa, you must have a genuine relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK, meet the financial, language, accommodation and health requirements set by the UK government, and be eligible to marry or enter into a civil partnership. By ensuring that you meet these requirements and providing all the necessary documents and evidence, you can increase your chances of a successful visa application.